Hebrew Seal Discovered From First Temple Period
Ezra 2: "1 Now these were the people of the province who came up out of the captivity of those exiles whom Nebuchadnez'zar the king of Babylon had carried captive to Babylonia; they returned to Jerusalem and Judah, each to his own town.... 43 The temple servants: the sons of Ziha, the sons of Hasu'pha, the sons of Tabba'oth,... 46 the sons of Hagab, the sons of Shamlai, the sons of Hanan,..."
Archaeological excavations in the northwestern part of the Western Wall plaza in Jerusalem recently uncovered a rare and impressive Hebrew seal that dates to the latter part of the First Temple period (7th Century BC). The seal dates to the time when the kings Manasseh and Josiah reigned.
The seal is elliptical in shape and made of black stone measuring 1.2 x 1.4 cm. It is adorned with an engraved decoration of an archer shooting a bow and arrow. The name of the archer is engraved in ancient Hebrew script next to him and reads LHGB (meaning Hagab). The name Hagab is also found in the Lachish Letters which date to the time of the First Temple.
The Lachish Letters, written in ancient Hebrew script on clay tablets with ink, were discovered in 1935. They were discovered at Lachish among the ruins of an ancient guard room just outside the Lachish city gate. Most of the letters were dispatches from a Jewish commander named Hoshaiah and reveal important information concerning the last days of the southern kingdom of Judah.
Jeremiah 34:6-7 "Then Jeremiah the prophet spoke all these words to Zedeki'ah king of Judah, in Jerusalem, when the army of the king of Babylon was fighting against Jerusalem and against all the cities of Judah that were left, Lachish and Aze'kah; for these were the only fortified cities of Judah that remained."