Struggle with Hebrews 6 4-6
Struggle with Hebrews 6:4-6
New International Version (NIV)
4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[a] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
Or even worse Satan uses it to discourage them, whispering: You have sinned!! You have denied the faith you have lost your salvation!!
The key to this scripture is in….
Warning Against Falling Away <- Ignore this, it was NOT in the original!!
11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
6.1 Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[a] and of faith in God, 2 instruction about cleansing rites,[b] the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And God permitting, we will do so.
So if you read this all in context (the way you should ALWAYS read the Bible)
It says in plain English Paul says to the Jews.(who are used to sacrifice yearly)
- You got saved.
- You ought to know what it takes to please God (righteousness).
- But you are still a bit thick – (can’t distinguish good from evil).
- No, let’s move on – you don’t have to get re-saved every time you sin. (Jesus's sacrifice was ONCE)
- You don’t have to re-get-faith in God, or re-understand the basic principles.
- (Now the confusing part) You have been enlightened, tasted the heavenly Gift (Holy Spirit), the WORD. If you fall away (sin) – you can’t be re-born again.
- If you keep staying faithful and serve God you will produce a ‘good crop’.
- If you don’t stay faithful and don’t serve God you will produce a ‘bad crop’.
- A crop is not just a single seed (or bad action or sin) it is a life time of seeds.
- God will take your whole life in account one day if you stand before the judgement seat. Even if you have lived ‘bad’ up until now, all that can be washed away. He promise that He will remove your sin as far as the east is from the west and remember it no more.
- If it important to know that God is cheering for you, He wants you to do well, He knows you can do well and will give you everything you need for life and godliness!!
If you where / are saved once and you was / is sure of your salvation in Christ. If you fall away in sin or just fall away from God. The solution is not to be re-saved, (as you are born of uncorruptable seed) the solution is to turn back to God and walk in faith that He has already by His Grace provided ONCE and for all time forgiveness for all the sins you have done and are going to do. Not just for you but for everyone who will come to Him in faith.
By: Gabriel Kolbe